Your new design will be uploaded in:
Please contact Delivery Team on
0113 3200 750 if you have any queries.



At what age will my child start school?

Date of Birth Start Nursery Start Reception Start Middle School
1st Sept 2015 - 31st Aug 2016 September 2019 September 2020 September 2025
1st Sept 2016 - 31st Aug 2017 September 2020 September 2021 September 2026
1st Sept 2017 - 31st Aug 2018 September 2021 September 2022 September 2027
1st Sept 2018 - 31st Aug 2019 September 2022 September 2023 September 2028

How do I find out about Ofsted inspection results for the First School in which I am interested?

The Office for Standards in Education (OFSTED) is the Central Government Office which is responsible for carrying out inspections of all schools. OFSTED Reports can be obtained from the Internet by clicking here and Picknalls First School's latest Ofsted report can be found here.

How do I apply for a school place?

Applications for  September 2020 First and Middle school admissions open on Friday 1st November 2019 and close on Wednesday 15th January 2020.  You can apply online via Staffordshire County Council's website once the applications are open.

You will be sent confirmation of your child's place on 16th April 2019.

How do I compare schools in my local area?

The Primary School Performance Tables provide information on the achievements of pupils in primary schools, how they compare with other schools in the Local Authority (LA) area and in England as a whole. Please visit the DfE Performance Tables.

Is my child entitled to free school dinners?

Your child may be able to get free school meals if you get any of the following:

  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
  • Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
  • Universal Credit - if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)

Children who get paid these benefits directly, instead of through a parent or guardian, can also get free school meals.

Your child may also get free school meals if you get any of these benefits and your child is both:

If your child is eligible for free school meals, they’ll remain eligible until they finish the phase of schooling (primary or secondary) they’re in on 31 March 2022.

Your child will be able to get free school meals if they’re in a government-funded school and in:

  • reception class
  • year 1
  • year 2

Tell your local authority if you also get any of the qualifying benefits. Your child’s school can get extra funding if you do.

How will I know how my child is doing at school?

In the Autumn Term a Parents' Evening is held when the child has been in school or in a new class, for a period of 5 to 6 weeks. This enables parents to meet their child’s new teacher to discuss how children are settling to work in their new classes, with their new peer group and their academic progress.  Parents are sent a link via our Parents Evening text and email system which enables the to book appointments with their child's class teacher

In February, parents are invited into school to discuss their child’s academic progress.

In December and April every child receives a written interim report giving a snapshot of their progress and effort in all subjects.

In the Summer Term every child will receive a written report of his/her year’s work along with the results of any statutory assessments. Parents will be given the opportunity to discuss this report towards the end of the Summer term.

How should my child search for a lost property?

For general items, your child needs to first speak to the class teacher. Un-claimed and un-named  items are kept in the basket in the entrance area.  Please ensure all items are marked with your child’s full name and class (not initial letters).

What are INSET days?

INSET stands for In Service Training. All schools in England have five days every year when they are closed to pupils to allow for staff training. They are an important part of staff training and development, ensuring that staff stay up to date with latest developments and so education in our school remains ‘cutting edge’.

What is the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS)?

EYFS is Nursery (N1) and Reception (FS1 and FS2).

What are Key Stage 1 and 2 (KS1 and KS2)?

Key Stage 1 is Years 1 and 2 or classes 1, 2, 3 and 4. Key Stage 2 is Years 3 and 4 or classes 5, 6, 7 and 8.

What is the National Curriculum?

The National Curriculum outlines what all children should be taught in each Key Stage. To find out more about the Primary Curriculum click here.

What are SATs?

They are Statutory Assessment Tasks. These are national tasks / tests which are used to assess all children at the end of Key Stage 1 (Year 2). The SAT results give a ‘snapshot’ of children’s attainment; in other words how they achieved in particular tasks or tests taken on as specific day / week.

What is PPA time?

This is Planning, Preparation and Assessment time; all teachers are entitled to PPA time with each year group taking one afternoon a week.  During this time pupil's classes are covered by our fully qualified Teaching Assistants, Mrs Backhouse in Year 4, Mrs Owston in Year 3 and Mrs Price in EYFS.

How do I give feedback about my child to teachers?

As mentioned above there are two parent consultation evenings every year when you can make an appointment to discuss your child’s progress with their teacher. In addition, teachers are always happy to talk briefly at the start or end of the school day. If you’d like to talk for a bit longer, then contact the office or ask your child’s teacher if you can arrange a time that is convenient for you both. You can do this at any time of the year.

How do I contact the Headteacher?

You can do one of a number of things;

  • Call in to the school office and make an appointment
  • Write a letter.

Mrs Tapp practices an open-door policy and, provided she is available, is always happy to meet with you.

How do I contact the Governors?

The best way to contact our Chair of Governors, Mr Paul Johnson, is to send him an email to

What happens if my child is ill or late?

If your child is ill they need to stay at home. It is also school policy that if your child has had a stomach bug they must not return to school within 48 hours of their last symptoms to prevent an epidemic. You must call the school office on 01889 228700 or email to inform the school.  

If your child is late arriving at school, please come directly to the school office.  We ask that you sign in the late register which is available.  In line with Staffordshire County Council Code of Conduct if your child is persistently late 20 times after our register has closed (9.15am) during the current and previous term you are in danger of triggering a Penalty Notice (a fine of £60).  For more information please visit the Staffordshire County Council website.